Accident Benefit Lawyers Help You Apply for Insurance Benefits


Accident Benefit Lawyers and Weekly Benefits


Injured Ontarians and their families often suffer severe financial instability following a motor vehicle accident. You may be unable to work for some time after an accident due to physical or psychological injuries, and this can leave your family without critical financial support. Sometimes the injured person has been a caregiver for minor children or disabled persons, which means that someone must be hired to take over their duties. Fortunately, your insurance should have provisions for circumstances like this. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash, accident benefits lawyers can help you ascertain what types of benefits that your family is eligible for.


First, call a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible following the accident; it’s important to get the process started early. Your accident benefit lawyer will be able to advise you about the requirements that must be met.


After you report your injuries, your insurer will request the completion of an Application for Benefits Form (OCF-1.) This must be completed and sent to your insurance company within thirty days of receipt of the form. In order to apply for income replacement, caregiver or non-earner benefits, and the patient’s medical personnel must complete the Disability Certificate (OCF-3,) which outlines the injury and estimates how long treatment will last.


Income Replacement Benefit


Standard insurance provides the possibility of income replacement, up to $400/week. (If you’ve purchased additional coverage, this payment may be as much as $600/week.) In order to qualify for this benefit, you must be:


·       Employed on the date of the accident; or

·       Not currently employed, but worked 26 of the 52 weeks before the accident.


Payments are scheduled to begin within ten business days after your completed application and disability certificate are received by your insurance company.  Payments will follow if you remain unable to work. If your application is questioned or refused, you will be sent a written explanation. (This often happens, but your personal injury lawyer will be able to advise you as to how to proceed.)


If you were unemployed or were a full-time student, you may be eligible for a non-earner benefit of $185/week.


Caregiver Benefit


Recent changes to the law mean that applicants are no longer able to receive caregiving benefits. You may be eligible for caregiving benefits if you become substantially unable to engage in the caregiving activities that you previously engaged in. Contact a lawyer to get more information for more information.


This benefit is meant to help to pay for someone to help with the caregiving duties you formerly performed. If you have a standard policy, you will receive $250 per week for the first person, and $50 per week for each additional person that you cared for.


Note that you may also qualify for Medical Benefits, Rehabilitation Benefits, or Attendant Care Benefits. Applying for insurance benefits can be extremely demanding and detailed, so it’s important to engage an accident benefits lawyer who can guide you through the process. Make sure you get the compensation you deserve.